Background

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Fun In D.C. At the Cherry Blossom Festival



Spent a wonderful day in D.C. a couple weekends ago. Here we are at the Cherry Blossom Festival on the grounds of the Washington Monument with our backs to the Lincoln Memorial. Mike, Aaron, and I hooked up with my beautiful childhood friend, Gina; her wonderful husband, Amer; and their adorable son, Jarius. We had such a great time! The weather was absolutely perfect. We hit the tail end of the annual festival. Tourists from all over the world descend on D.C. during a two-week period to see the gorgeous blossoms in bloom and to celebrate Japanese culture. Although we missed the "peak", the plants were lovely nonetheless. (Found some great pics online since we missed the window for great photo opps; see below to get a glimpse of how gorgeous these trees are when they're in bloom.)

Most of all it was just great to spend time with this friend I've known for 27 years!! (Does that date me or what?!) Her family is absolutely wonderful! It was fun to finally meet their handsome 9-month-old boy (his eyelashes are gorgeous!) and for them to meet Aaron. We picnicked with some yummy sandwiches Gina packed, and then we ordered dinner back at their place that night.

Gina is a U.S. Foreign Service Diplomat (she's fluent in four languages: English, Spanish, French, and Arabic,) so they're heading to Jordan in the fall. I'm so glad our time in Virginia overlaps by a few months so we can enjoy some time together before they depart. It's so great that we've stayed in close contact over the years -- despite our many comings and goings. There's nothing like a wonderful childhood friend around whom you feel completely comfortable! She's always been very supportive. Thanks for such a great outing, guys! ;) I'm glad our boys can be buddies now!




5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a wonderful outing! I'm so glad that you've had the opportunity to reconnect with friends. I love it that I get to see you standing amidst all the great D.C. buildings and scenery. I'm sure it just feels like home. What interesting friends you have. I can't imagine being fluent in 4 languages!

Unknown said...

I love the Cherry Blossoms!! Did you know that my sister was the 1992 Cherry Blossom Queen??

Familia Forsloff said...

D.C. looks so beautiful...last time I was there I was 13 for a school trip and at that age I was probably awkward and not paying attention to all the history I was seeing...I know Lane really wants to visit...maybe in the future..wink wink!

Halliday's said...

Oh, Jenny! DC is so beautiful! When you were married, I remember seeing signs for the Cherry Blossom festival. It was to be a week after Mindy and I went home. I bet it was breathtaking... And have I met Gina? She looks familiar. Maybe at BYU??? Is she doing what Aaron Stone wanted to do? Something like his dad is? Brave lady!

Jenny said...

Stephanie, Gina didn't go to BYU ... you may have met her the day of the wedding. She was also at the bridal shower. Yep, she's in the same line of work as Aaron's dad. She is very brave! ;)