Background

Friday, June 27, 2008

Aaron's New Home


So this is the house we're closing on next week! So the yard needs some help. (But you can't judge a house by its yard!) :) And is that not an insane tree sitting in the front yard? It scares the daylights out of me! :) But we do like that it provides a lot of shade. The house is just what we need! It has four bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a lovely living room, a formal dining room, a den with a fireplace (love fireplaces; they give a house that "homey" feel), an unfinished kitchen (will explain), a good-size laundry room, and a large backyard for playin'. The house is also one level, which is nice with kids. And, ideal location. Nice, quiet, tucked-away neighborhood just four minutes from two great shopping centers, featuring Outback Steakhouse, Target, Taco Bell, Home Depot, Super-duper WalMart (or whatever it's called!), UKROP'S!, Panera Bread, etc., etc. We'll also be close to a brand-spankin'-new libary (our new hang out), and Mike will have an easy-breezy 17-minute commute into the city - and that's IN rush-hour traffic. Also in a great school district. Location, location, location! We also found out our new neighbors have two boys under age 2. Playmates!

It's funny, I recently attended a pool party in what was probably the wealthiest neighborhood I've ever been in. When I pulled into the neighborhood, I said to myself, "Okay, are these houses? Because they look like museums." It truly resembled a museum district. "And that house, yeah, as big as the Smithsonian." I have never seen such outrageously big/stunning houses in my life - they exceeded the size of the homes I saw on my mission in a ridiculously wealthy area of California. So ... I get to this house/museum and go around back to find a gorgeous swimming pool with sparkling blue water, a full-size outdoor enclosed kitchen for entertaining, and a backyard that looks like a national park. I was just in awe! I was describing the house to Mike, and turns out he had actually been to it before.

Anyway, so I guess the point of my post today is that you can't judge a house by its size either. ;)

The outside of our home is actually quite deceiving; it's bigger than it looks. It has charm inside and lots of potential. Potential being the key word. It's a bit of a fixer, meaning we're having some work done before we even move in. Like having the kitchen finished. A man bought the house a year and a half ago to "flip" it - never even lived in the house - but decided to sell before he finished. So we got a good deal on the house, but we're having to put quite a bit into it, too. It will be so fun when it's done! And I'll be sure to post before-and-after pics as we finish the rooms. This will be a fun, character-building ( ... back-breaking ... ) project. :) I can't wait to get in there and decorate and give the house our own personal touch. Just needs some love ... Jenny love, that is! :) Mike's been really awesome and helpful with collecting estimates for work to be done. It'll be a fun, yet busy, month.

And to those of you who said the right house would come and that we'd know it when we saw it ... thanks. You were right!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

We are so happy that you have found the perfect house for your family! I love that it is in a great neighborhood and that you will have instant friends. It couldn't be more perfect, could it? I hope the fixing process goes smoothly. It will be so nice that you get to do it the way that you want to. Congratulations!

Deb said...

I think that looks like a great house! Congratulations.

Deb & Jon

Inspiration Station said...

That is such wonderful news Jenny! Sounds like lots of room to grow and so fun for you to be able to decorate and make your own. Can't wait to see how everything turns out. When do you move in?
Mindy :)

Mona said...

Thank you for sharing this space with me. It's nice to see you and the family. I'm happy for you with the purchase of your home. I know how exciting that can be. I look forward to new blogs regarding projects around the house as well as new things that Aaron is doing. We'll catch up soon! Love and Aloha ~Mona

Unknown said...

I LOVE your house. I can't wait to see what you do to it and I want to see pics. What a great time you'll have making it your home. You have a huge yard!!! Now you just need a white picket fence :o) Congrats and keep the pictures coming

J. Melody said...

You should put some before and after pictures of the kitchen. Congrats again on the house and I'm glad to hear you had a great b-day. I'm very jealous of the treadmill. Also, I love the video of Aaron dancing!

senategirl said...

What a beautiful home and it will be perfect for your family. I'm so happy for you and Mike. You are putting down roots! :)

Unknown said...

P.S. our first home was a ranch too. You'll LOVE having everything on one floor. It's the way to go :o)

Heidi said...

How exciting for you to find the perfect house. I'm so happy for your little family. Can't wait to see it with your awesome decorating.

Burnhams said...

Jenny, Jenny! The house is perfect! I'm soooo excited that you finally found what you and Mike were looking for! The tree? It would scare me, but I think it adds huge character to your entrance. Just think, you have two foyers now...one outside and one inside! Happy nailing, mudding, taping, etc.!

Halliday's said...

Jenny I love your home! Red brick with shutters!!!! And having a home you can make your own is the best! I can't wait to see all the fun things you'll be doing. I'm all about buying an existing home instead of building one. Just doing our basement was so stressful that I can't imagine building a home from the ground up. I'm so excited for you and Mike! And as for the tree... well, mature trees can be hard to come by and it looks nice. Picnic anyone? : )

Halliday's said...

I forgot to say that you are right as far as location, location, location. You want to live in an area you love It's where you raise your family. I've known too many people who love their home, yet dislike the neighborhood. They are always wishing they could move. Crazy, huh?

Jenny said...

Thanks for the comments, guys! We appreciate the optimism and support:)