Background

Thursday, February 28, 2008

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye ...

I hate goodbyes! Hate, hate, hate 'em. I am a big-time crier, too. (Just to warn all of you Roseburg people.) :) I have been dreading writing this post, but, alas, it must be done.

Most of you already know that we're leaving the lovely town of Roseburg in a few weeks to return to our motherland, Virginia. Mike -- so proud of him -- landed an excellent job at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond doing cardiac rehab. This is a dream come true for him. He's hoping to get his finger in research and teaching at the school. Wonderful opportunity for him!

We didn't intend to return to Virginia to live (although I secretly wanted to someday.) :) When we were there at Christmas he learned about the job opening and just applied on a whim ... and got it!

We are so sad to leave our cherished friends. One of my favorite quotes (author unknown) is: "You never really leave a place you love. Part of it you take with you, leaving a part of yourself behind." That is totally how I feel about Roseburg. I had no idea I would grow to love this place so much when I first moved here. The people have made all the difference. Roseburg will always have a special place in my heart for some solid reasons:

- This is where Mike and I launched our marriage.
- We experienced much of the West while living here: Seattle and Pasco, Washington; Portland, Bend, and Eugene, Oregon; and San Francisco, Monterey, and Carmel, California.
- We enjoyed the gorgeous, breathtaking hiking and scenery available here multiple times.
- We made INCREDIBLE friends. (Who knew we'd make some of the best friends of our lives here?) I know that we'll stay in touch!
- We were able to live slimly and save for a down payment on a house. Let the house hunting begin -- yah!
-We had a baby here -- yah!!!

We'll always have wonderful connections to this place!

Now for the invitation. You are ALL invited to come visit us on the East Coast. We truly love visitors and expect you guys to come stay with us. YOU MUST! Richmond is just a hop, skip, and a jump from D.C. (Okay, it's two hours.) But, we'll be in the heart of Virginia, which means we'll be surrounded by lots of beautiful historical sites. Richmond is where Patrick Henry gave his famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech, for example. Please come visit! (For real. We really do mean it; we're not just saying it.)

We will miss our Roseburg friends dearly. At the same time, we look forward to being closer to family and great friends. Mike and I have talked about how it would be so awesome if we could create a neighborhood full of our close friends and family so we wouldn't have to all be so spread out. Wouldn't that be AMAZING? Ahh, wishful thinking.

Thank you, Roseburg people, for such an incredible two years. I only have absolutely fond and wonderful memories. I love you all so much!

We don't leave until March 18, so there's still time to hang out!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! Congrats to you guys. How nice it will be to live near your family. I am soo jealous. I am secretly hoping to end up there too! =) Keep me posted and good luck with the move.

Michelle said...

Jenny, your family will be missed! I only wish you happiness in Richmond and feel so blessed to have you as a friend. Please keep blogging so we can see how Aaron grows!

Bubbles said...

I'm sad you're moving father away from us! But I know it'll be awesome for you to be closer to your family and for your hubby to have this opportunity. We might end up in Virginia in a year or two as well! Wouldn't that be great?

Jason Heilpern said...

Im sorry you are leaving the area you like, however Major Congrats to Mike. When you guys get back to the East Coast Terra and I would love to do Dinner with you and Mike.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Inspiration Station said...

I'm so excited for you to move closer to home. What a wonderful opportunity for you and Mike. It is so hard to say goodbye! When we left VA to come here, we had the same feelings. I felt like I would never have a reason to go back. (except now you and my sister are or will be there.) Yeah! I wish you the best and Richmond is in for a real treat to have you moving there. Love ya!

Jenny said...

Jason H. - That'd be great! We'd love to get together for din-din once we're back there. Stay in touch! -Sister Stath Math ;)

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to welcome you back to Virginia! Congratulations to you Mike on your new job.

Jen R.