Background

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Because We Can All Use A Little More Laughter


A dear friend from college -- and obviously a very talented author and editor -- recently edited a DARLING book called "Cheerios In the Chapel." My friend Trish and I met in a communications class at BYU and came to find out that we grew up just 30 minutes apart in Virginia. We've stayed in touch over the years, and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to order a copy of her published work. (Published by Meridian Magazine, www.ldsmag.com.)

I must say I love this book. It's lighthearted, fun, and full of humor which, frankly, we can all use more of. ;) It contains humorous anecdotes and stories about the funny things children do and say. LDS humor, if you will, or any Christian audience for that matter. Something DIFFERENT to display on the coffee table. :)

I think this book would make a wonderful gift -- for Christmas, birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc. To order a copy, visit here.

I wanted to share a couple of entries, to give you a sampling of the book's flavor:

-- My mother was an early-morning seminary teacher several years ago. One morning a girl who was a grocery bagger was asked to say ther prayer. Apparently she was pretty wrapped up in her work because she stood up in front of the class, folded her arms, bowed her head and said: "Paper or plastic?"

And another: -- While working for an organization that delivers lunches to elderly people, I used to take my 4-year-old daughter on my afternoon rounds. She was intrigued by the various appliances of old age, particularly the canes, walkers and wheelchairs. One day, I found her staring at a pair of false teeth soaking in a glass. As I braced myself for the inevitable barrage of questions, she turned and whispered: "The tooth fairy will never believe this!"

Trish did a wonderful job compiling these stories and editing the book. I love Trish, and I'm grateful for the friend she's been over the years. Good job, Trish!

2 comments:

Trish and Matt said...

You're the best! Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the book.

That second laugh you mention is one of my favorites. I also really liked the one comparing ward boundary changes to Survivor, where the kid says: "So who got voted off?"

Michelle said...

These just made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the recommendation, Jenny!