Background

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Privacy! At Last!

One of the things I've looked forward to most (other than the kitchen getting finished) is the installation of our blinds. Mike talked me into these cordless cellular (accordian-style) blinds -- over mini blinds -- so we wouldn't have to deal with the blinds bending, breaking, etc. I totally love them! I think they have a less "corporate" look to them (nothing against mini blinds!! That's what I've had most of my life.) Anyway, it's very nice to have privacy, especially after a couple of weeks of ducking when walking past windows, when necessary. I love my privacy!! Oh, the things we take for granted ... like window treatments! ;)

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay for window treatments! This looks very nice, Jenny. I'm actually looking at replacing my mini-blinds in my master bedroom because they are broken so badly that I have to wrap a cord around them to keep them up. How does one clean cordless, cellular, accordian style blinds? Can you still open them if they are cordless? I probably just need to head on over to Lowe's or Home Depot to get the scoop :)

Jenny said...

michelle, the blinds are fabric, so they can be cleaned with a wet, soapy rag. Yes, you can still open them. There's a plastic handle at the bottom to open and close them. And theoretically, if you're always using the handle, the blinds shouldn't get too dirty. I like them so much better than mini blinds ... so that's my vote. :) The only down side is that they're a bit more expensive. We found a 15 percent off sale, so that helped. Watch for sales, and use any coupons you might have. A friend just told me she saw some of these on the clearance rack at Home Depot, so there are ways to find them at deep discounts. Good luck:)

Jenny said...

Another thing! You can purchase the "double cell" cordless cellular blinds for additional insulation. Always a perk.

Trish and Matt said...

Jenny, they look great! We have the same ones. Most of ours have cords, but for the kids' rooms, we did splurge and go cordless.

We bought our cordless ones at Blinds.com and got them $15-20 cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot -- just in case your friend is looking.

Jenny said...

Thanks, on the go mama! Good to know.

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for all the information! I would rather be buy a product on a friend's recommendation than from a salesperson's spiel. I didn't know that window treatments could serve as insulation, too. I'll check out blinds.com. I appreciate these comments so much :)

Ms. Mini said...

btw - you can also vaccuum these types of blind.

Jenny said...

ooo, thanks Ms. Mini! Didn't know that!

amylouwhosews said...

I despise mini-blinds - good choice on the accordians. They look so much softer to me.