Background

Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Face Of A One-Year-Old

Here's our birthday boy at his favorite spot: perched at his bedroom window. He likes to look outside and see what's going on. He often points at things, looks at me, and starts "talking," as if he wants to have a conversation about what he sees. I wish I knew what he was trying to say! For now I'll just have to use my imagination!
p.s. Don't mind the outfit! ;)

Can you believe he's one? I can't! Yes, little Aaron turned one today! My good friend, Stephanie, who also has a one-year-old, recently commented on her blog that if she could relive the past year, she would. I feel the EXACT same way. The past year has been amazing. I thought I would note some of Aaron's little characteristics and favorites. These are, of course, from my observation and experience. He could have totally different ideas!

Favorite foods:
He loves it all, but I'd have to say watermelon, marshmallows, Cheerios, and bananas. He also loves his tri-vitamin drops. Good thing! ;)
Favorite things to do: Take baths, go for walks, look through books (that are usually upside-down,) push the stroller around the house, and pretend like he's sweeping or mopping (he's obsessed with both the broom and the Swiffer ) -- I only hope this obsession lasts! Oh, and how could I forget his obsession with phones (real and fake ... he doesn't discriminate.)
Trademark: Giving hugs and big, open kisses. He also hums as he eats food he enjoys.
Favorite words to say (or probably the only words he can say!): "Daddy" and "yeah"
Favorite time of day: When daddy comes home:)
Favorite skills: Clapping, doing his little dance (still does it!), learning to walk -- he's gaining more confidence!, waving bye-bye, and pointing.
Favorite people to visit: All the grandparents -- he lights up each time he sees them.
Favorite music: Any! We dance all the time. He loves it! :)
Favorite game he LOVES to play: Peek-a-boo. Now he likes to participate by "hiding."
Latest discovery: Shaking things -- tables, chairs, objects, etc.
Things I love about my boy: He's very quick to smile and laugh, and his eyes squint when he does. Sometimes I think he's laughing just to make me feel good. :) He often laughs when I put his shoes on; it must tickle because I can't think of anything comical about it! He's also very friendly with people in public and is quick to smile and wave. And he gives the sweetest hugs
-- I just adore them! There's nothing better. :)
Sleeping habits (this one's indisputable!): He's down to two solid naps a day and has slept well the past couple of nights. We're hoping this continues!
Things he'll do if you're not watching: Pour the entire container of food onto his tray and proceed to pick at it, pull all the clothes out of the drawer and put some on his head, pick up the phone and call 911. :)

Like I said ... I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat! It's been so much fun. We love this sweet, friendly, happy little boy and feel incredibly blessed and happy to have him in our home.

Happy birthday, Aaron!!! We're celebrating pretty low-key this year ... next year we'll party it up when he knows better what's going on. :)


11 comments:

melanie said...

happy birthday aaron! sorry we didn't call and sing. they had girl scouts tonight so we got home late. we'll call tomorrow. love you little guy!

Michelle said...

Where has the time gone?? He is already so big! I love your list of favorite things about Aaron. He is really a special, lucky little boy!
I saw Mia tonight at Chase's soccer practice, and we talked about you!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday. You are so cute.
Have a great next year.

Jenny said...

You are so cute And your crazy Aunt Kathryn and fam loves you so much. So glad I get to see you thru the blog.
love you from utah

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, he is so big! Doesn't the first year just fly by! The next will go even faster. I can't wait to see him

Bubbles said...

He's one!!!??? I thought you just had him.:) I can't believe I still haven't seen the little dude. I'm sad about that:( Are you guys going to come out west any time soon?

senategirl said...

Happy birthday Aaron! Jenny I totally agree with you that the first year is so fun. It is magical to watch them grow and learn. You have a beautiful little boy!

senategirl said...

P.s. I would have made him a cake. :) Maybe next year!

J. Melody said...

Oh, he is so adorable! I'm here in Germany and loving it. I posted some picts on my blog. You'll have to remind me of your plans. Now that I'm here it'll make more sense where you'll be. Talk soon...Melody

Inspiration Station said...

Wow, little Aaron one now! I guess that is why we have more kids so we can relive those moments again. :) Happy birthday to Aaron!

Halliday's said...

Ahhh, Jenny...!!! Aaron's so cute! I love all the things you remember about his 1st year. I think I have slippery brain or something because I have a hard time remembering anything lately... : ;) Being a mom has been so fun, huh? Who would have thought you could love and adore someone so much? Happy Birthday to you... Aaron!!! Sweet boy that you are!