Background

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Baby Grant Comes Home



Grant on day one.



Here's Grant doing what he does best: sleep ... except at night when he's supposed to!! :)



Aaron suddenly looked SO big! He seems delighted to have another little guy join the family!



Aaron cruising in his grandparents' truck.

We brought Grant Michael home from the hospital last Saturday the 16th. He was born May 14th at exactly 9 a.m. Prompt little guy. :) He has been such a joy since. He weighed 8 pounds 7 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long. Aaron seems delighted to have a new little brother. He has shown a few signs of jealousy but mostly he seems interested in the baby, manifested by the fact that he constantly asks for "baby" and always wants to snuggle up to him. We're teaching him the meaning of "gentle." We were so grateful for Mike's parents who watched Aaron during our stay in the hospital. We're looking forward to having my mom come stay with us next week.

Grant has been a delight ... other than the fact that he has his days and nights mixed up. Aaron didn't have that problem, so this is all new to us. Grant is wide awake during the wee hours of the morning and sleeps perfectly soundly all day long. I think he's slowly learning and adjusting though -- last night was better, thank goodness. I forgot what it's like to have a newborn and the sleep deprivation that comes with it!!

It's been wonderful having Mike home during this time. Definitely couldn't have survived without him and all his help. He is so awesome with Aaron. I'm sure Aaron will miss all the one-on-one time he's had with his dad. Mike returns to work this Tuesday and then the fun really begins!!! Wish me luck. :)

p.s. Majority ruled when it came to naming the baby! Thanks for your votes! In the end Mike and I felt good about the name. It seems to fit him.

12 comments:

Inspiration Station said...

Hang in there! It does get better as you know with sleeping at night. I'm so glad you've had Mike and your mom soon to help out. Yeah for the name Grant! It is so fun to see another Mathis baby. He is beautiful!

Jenny Ramsey said...

he is just gorgeous!! just take advantage of those around you who are there to help. he'll get those days and nights in the right place in no time! :)

3inpink and 1inblue! said...

I am so happy for you. I like the name Grant-that's what I voted for also. He is a handsome baby. I was a mean mom and would wake the babies up in the early evening so I could try to get some night time sleep. Good luck and enjoy the newborn stage as much as you can...it is gone before you know it. Congrats again. What a sweet family. Love you.

Traci said...

We are so happy for you. Your boys are adorable. Congratulations for making it through the first week. As you know, it only gets easier.

Bubbles said...

OH my gosh! I can't believe you're now a mother of two! What a gorgeous baby you have. ANd he looks a lot like his brother. Hey, we might be moving to the Eazt in a year. It would be so great to hook up with you guys again!

Familia Forsloff said...

I Love love love little Grants face (and the fact that he shares Cooper's middle name!) You guys are such a cute family. We miss you tons! We're thinking of heading out east for a trip with my parents his Sep. I'll let you know if its gonna happen!

Heidi said...

Congratulations!!! He's so cute. The sleep deprivations gets better I promise. Good luck with adjusting to two.

Trish and Matt said...

Congratulations! He's a gorgeous baby. Looks just like his big bro.

As for the days and nights thing -- both my kids went through the same thing. I think it only lasted two weeks so you should be out of the woods shortly!

I'll give you a bit of time to settle in at home and then call shortly for all the details. Love ya!

senategirl said...

Jenny, congratulations on another beautiful little boy. I'm so happy for you and I hope you get some much needed rest and sleep.

PS. Kate had her nights and days mixed up. We read in a baby book to dim the lighting for evening so babies will recognize it and it totally helped. It does take a little time!

J. Melody said...

Jenny, I've been meaning to call, but thought you might be in the zombie phase that comes with newborns. Grant is absolutely darling, just like Aaron!! It does get easier once they sleep more during the night. Mine are playing together more now and that's really nice. Let's talk soon!!

Michelle said...

Don't know how I missed this! Your boys are so beautiful. Congratulations on welcoming little Grant into the world! Hope he's got his days and nights figured out now! Can't wait to meet him in person someday!

Dawn Rae said...

What some cute boys! I love Aaron's curls. Thanks for the blog invite. We miss you guys! Cute blog.